“Necessity, who is the mother of invention.” Plato, The Republic
Inspiration comes in many forms. Monday night it came in the form of semi-soft oven-ready lasagna noodles.
I had made some pumpkin muffins over the weekend, and as always, there was a little bit of pumpkin puree left over (before you ask, this was the canned pumpkin, the kind that you just need to add an egg to to make pie, there were already spices in it… local pumpkins aren’t quite ready yet). With my leftover pumpkin, I was ready for my pumpkin rolls. I had gone to the grocery store and bought the ricotta cheese, and came home from work ready to cook, and all I found was oven-ready lasagna noodles. I normally use regular noodles, boil them, and then roll. It wasn’t going to work. So off to google I went. “Can I boil oven-ready lasagna noodles?” was my query. In short, no. Oven-ready noodles will fall apart if you boil them, but one of the chefs online suggested soaking them in warm water to soften them. I tried that, and it worked, but I was a little impatient, so most of them broke. I then conceded that I needed to make a lasagna instead. And it turned out beautifully! I would have a picture for you, but we needed to eat in a hurry Monday night, and then the leftovers disappeared surprisingly fast.
- Pumpkin puree
- Ricotta cheese
- Cooked lasagna noodles
- Pumpkin pie spices, if desired
- Sauce (pesto or Alfredo is nice)
- Mozzarella cheese, if desired
- Pre-heat oven to 375°.
- Mix together your puree and the cheese. You may like more pumpkin and less cheese, or vice versa. Add spices if your puree isn’t already spiced.
- Lay your noodles out flat, and cover with the cheese mixture. Roll them up and place in a baking pan.
- Cover with desired sauce and mozzarella cheese. Bake until cheese bubbles.
- lasagna noodles
- Alfredo sauce
- pumpkin puree
- ricotta cheese – 1tub
- cheese for top
- pumpkin pie spices, if desired
- Pre-heat oven to 400°.
- Combine ricotta cheese, spinach, and pumpkin in a bowl. You may need to add some pumpkin pie spices, if desired.
- Layer your lasagna in this order: Alfredo, noodles, pumpkin, Alfredo, noodles, pumpkin, noodles, sauce, cheese.
- Bake until cheese on the top is melted, and the centre is cooked.