I hope that you all had a great 2013, and are looking forward to another wonderful year. I thought that before we rang in the new year, I’d share a Christmas ornament that I made for my cousin’s baby, who had his first Christmas this year. My baby also celebrated his first… but I haven’t made his yet. I’ll do it before we pack the ornaments away.
I used Sculpey effects for the red, it had a nice sparkle to it. I also made sure to roll it out very thin, because the clay can be very heavy. I just used regular white for the band, heel, and toe. The name was written on using a fine tip permanent marker, and I found a pretty coordinating ribbon to hang it with.
Thank you all for reading, comments, and likes. Here’s to a great year!
Yesterday I graduated from my yoga teacher training program, and am now a certified yoga instructor. As part of my final project, I wanted to give the other women in my class a gift to symbolize our journey together (you can become pretty close after spending 200 hours together). We had spent a day on the beach together as part of our training, and when I got home, there was sand everywhere. I saved it,many used it in my project.
I mixed a small amount of sand in with some clay.
I only added enough sand so the clay would be speckled. It wouldn’t hold much more than that. After kneading well, I made long tubes, and cut them so they were about an inch long. I used a toothpick to make the centre hole, and then baked them at 250 for about 10 minutes. After the had cooled, I used a Sharpie (I used the oil-based metallic ones, silver and gold) to write words on them: calm, peace, be, am, air, hope, faith, joy, etc, and then made them into a bracelet with hemp.
When I come to my mat, setting my intention for the practice is one of the hardest things that I do. Hopefully, my ‘peace’ bracelet will help me focus the next time.
I discovered Shay’s Clays last week, and she had a project about putting clay on everything that wasn’t bolted down. Ok, maybe not quite that… But she had made herself a handle for her blade, and I wanted to do the same thing, because what I currently had wasn’t cutting it.
Well, maybe it was. My fingers. I used the leftover cane that I had from making beads for my son, and I pressed it down on the dull edge. I used a block of clay to hold it in place.
I also made sure that the clay covered the hole I. The blade, just to help secure it. And here’s the finished product!
So I wondered what else I could cover with clay… I ended up doing a crochet hook handle, because I’m making some slippers for a friend, and my hand cramped up the other night while I was working with the hook.
I was trying to do a Skinner Blend with blue, orange, and white, and it didn’t work out for me. I think my problem was that I was using too little clay. So I just kind of swirled it together, and came up with what you see.
It was a little too much fun using that pasta machine, so I think that another Skinner Blend may be in my future this week…
My son has been asking me to make him a necklace lately, so today I though that I’d tackle that project. I’ve also been itching to make my first cane out of polymer clay.
We started out by picking out three colours of clay. David picked his three favourites:
I then broke off about 1/4 of each block, and then conditioned it slightly.
I then smushed the pieces together.
Then I started rolling the clay into a long snake, and then twisting and rolling again until I was satisfied with the marbling effect.
Using a blade from an exactly knife, I started sawing off small sections of the log I had made.
I rolled the sections into spheres, and then used a toothpick to make the hole. Then I baked the clay on parchment paper at 275 for about 15 minutes. We broke out the hemp, and started stringing the beads.
He was very pleased with the end result!
I want to apologize for not posting much recently. We had someone new join our family six weeks ago, and he’s been taking up quite a bit of our time. Here’s Jack!
Also, this is the first post that I’ve made using my iPad. I’ll let you know how I feel about this app in a future post…
I had some fun with polymer clay this afternoon. Some of these will become earrings, some will become pins, and some will become hair clips. They were all made using Premo holiday cutters.
The trees were coated in Sculpey gloss glaze, and then sprinkled with some glitter.
I hope to get the jewellery made this week, and I’ll show you the results!
I’ve dug out the hats, boots, and warmer jackets. Autumn is here. We even had a little snow today. It was the kind of snow that doesn’t stay on the ground, but it was snow nevertheless.
The week before Thanksgiving, I started making some Fall jewellery and Hallowe’en jewellery out of clay. I sold out of all my ghosts and pumpkins before I got a chance to make anymore. I made some more last night, and here’s how they turned out:
For all of these, I used Premo mini-metal cutters, but then added faces with a Sharpie or using a knife to create hatch marks on the centres of the sunflowers. I’m anxious to try some more free-handed things. I have made a few, but I’m waiting for Christmas to try some more!
So I’ve been a busy little beaver making more clay jewellery this week. Check it out!
Some colourful roses: (check a previous post on how to make these ones!)
I also made some hair clips:
And some cupcakes:
A few watermelon pins:
And last but not least, I made a few more hairclips. These little guys were supposed to be on posts for earrings, but were not cooperating, so they became clips.